Main content

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program

Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2023
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program graphic

Do you need help paying your water or sewer bill? The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) may be able to help!

This is a federally funded program administered by the Vermont Department for Children and Families (DCF) to help eligible households pay their water and wastewater bills. The program ends September 30, 2023 so apply now!

You may be eligible if:

  • Income below 60% of the state median based on household size
  • Your household includes someone in a vulnerable population (elderly, disabled, child under age 6)
  • Overdue water/sewer bills
  • Water/sewer has been disconnected or is at risk of being disconnected
  • Your household is eligible for LIHEAP (Seasonal Fuel Assistance), SNAP (3SQVT), and TANF (Reach-UP)
  • Renters are eligible. If water/sewer is included in your rent, have your landlord provide a letter explaining how the water/sewer bill(s) are allocated to the rental unit and provide a copy of their bill.

How to Apply

Download the application at or call 1-800-339-6433 to receive the application by mail.

Send the application and a copy of your water/sewer bill to: 

ADPC - Economic Services Division
280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-1500