Main content

Quick Answers

Frequently requested phone numbers

Assessor:  802-878-1345 (Property Valuation)
Essex Police Dept (non-emergency): 802-878-8331
Essex High School: 802-879-7121
Essex Junction Parks & Recreation: 802-878-1375 
U.S. Post Office: 802-879-7794 (Pearl St) 
Vermont State Tax Dept:  802-828-2865 (Homestead & Property Tax Adj.)
Chittenden Solid Waste District (CSWD): 802-872-8111 (Recyling)

When are City utility bills due?

Utility bills will be mailed in late February, June, and October with payments due in late March, July, and November. 

When is the winter parking ban?

The winter parking ban is in effect from midnight to 7 a.m. from December 1, 2023 - April 1, 2024.

What are the City Office Hours?

A: The City Office at 2 Lincoln Street is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Can I make a payment online?

Yes, you can make payments online with a debit or credit card with our online payment service​​​​. Convenience fees will be charged. 

How do I join a commission, board, or committee?

You can join a commission, board, or committee by filling out an online application

Where do I vote if I live in the City?

A: City residents vote at Champlain Valley Expo - Blue Ribbon Pavilion. The General Election is run by the City Clerk, early/absentee voting can be done at the City Offices 2 Lincoln Street. Requests for absentee ballots can be made by calling 802-878-6944.

Do I live in the City?

A: You can put your address into this interactive map to see if you live or work in the City or Town. You can also follow this link - Street List (PDF) - to see a list of City streets in alphabetical order. If you live on one of these streets and have an Essex Junction mailing address, you live in the City.

Where can I pay my taxes?

Q: I don’t like sending large checks through the mail. Where do I go to pay my taxes in person and get a receipt?

A: You can pay all your property taxes at the City Offices at 2 Lincoln Street. An option is also available to have your tax payments automatically withdrawn from your bank account on the due date. Click here for form

Who do I call if I have a question about my homestead declaration and property tax adjustment?

A: The homestead declaration and property tax adjustment are administered through the Vermont State Tax Department.  You can call the Taxpayer Services for Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Adjustment Claims number at 1-866-828-2865 (toll free in Vermont), 1-802-828-2865 (local or out-of-state), or email schooltaxes@

If I’m an Essex Junction resident, where do I go for a zoning permit?

A: The City Offices at 2 Lincoln Street. The Community Development Director and Assistant Zoning Administrator authorizes permits within the City of Essex Junction.

Who do I call to report a problem about a street, sidewalk, sign, streetlight, hydrant, or sewer?

A: The best place to start is reporting the problem on See, Click, Fix​​​​​​​. If you need additional assistance you can contact the City office at (802) 878-6944. Someone there will be able to take your call and direct the problem to the appropriate person within the City government. If there is an emergency water or sewer problem after office hours, call the Essex Police at 878-8331 and they will contact the public works pager.