Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently requested phone numbers

Assessor:  802-878-1345 (Property Valuation)
Essex Police Dept (non-emergency): 802-878-8331
Essex High School: 802-879-7121
Essex Junction Parks & Recreation: 802-878-1375 
Essex Town Clerk:  802-879-0413 (Marriage, Birth, Death Certificates)
U.S. Post Office:  802-878-3085(Essex Way), 802-879-7794(Pearl St) 
Vermont State Tax Dept:  802-828-2865 (Homestead & Property Tax Adj.)
Chittenden Solid Waste District (CSWD): 802-872-8111 (Recyling)

Where do I vote if I live in the City?

A: City residents vote at Essex High School. The General Election is run by the Town Clerk, early/absentee voting can be done at the Town office, 81 Main Street. Requests for absentee ballots can be made by calling 802-879-0413.

What are the City Office Hours?

A: The City Office at 2 Lincoln Street is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Do I live in the City?

A: Follow this link - Street List - to see a list of City streets in alphabetical order. If you live on one of these streets and have an Essex Junction mailing address, you live in the City.

Where can I pay my taxes?

Q: I don’t like sending large checks through the mail. Where do I go to pay my taxes in person and get a receipt?

A: You can pay all your Property taxes at either the Town office at 81 Main Street, or the Essex Junction City offices on Lincoln Street at Five Corners.  An option is also available to have your tax payments automatically withdrawn from your bank account on the due date.  Click here for form

Who do I call if I have a question about my homestead declaration and property tax adjustment?

A: The homestead declaration and property tax adjustment are administered through the Vermont State Tax Department.  You can call the Taxpayer Services for Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Adjustment Claims number at 1-866-828-2865 (toll free in Vermont), 1-802-828-2865 (local or out-of-state), or email schooltaxes@

If I’m an Essex Junction resident, where do I go for a zoning permit?

A: You go to the Essex Junction municipal office at Five Corners. The Essex Junction Development Director and/or Assistant Zoning Administrator authorizes permits within the City of Essex Junction.

Who do I call to report a problem about a street, sidewalk, sign, streetlight, hydrant, or sewer?

A: The best place to start is the City office at (802) 878-6944. Someone there will be able to take your call and direct the problem to the appropriate person within the City government. If there is an emergency water or sewer problem after office hours, call the Essex Police at 878-8331 and they will contact the public works pager.