The purpose of the Committee is to study and make recommendations to the Selectboard and City Council on policy relating to common interests in complying with the NPDES PHASE 2 MS4 Stormwater Permit (3-9014) requirements. Further, the Committee shall explore and make recommendations relating to joint /cooperative stormwater management, operations and funding of stormwater activity in both jurisdictions.
The individual NPDES PHASE 2 MS4 Permit issued to each community requires that a single Flow Restoration Plan and Phosphorus Control Plan be developed and adopted in each community. Both communities share a common interest for clean up of impacted watersheds for flow reduction and for water quality impacts on Lake Champlain. Some level of new or upgraded stormwater infrastructure will be required to be financed, built, and managed in each community. The complexity of the stormwater issues facing both entities requires significant time and effort that the elected bodies cannot provide in the require compliance time frames without study and input from a program management-oriented Stormwater Policy Coordinating Committee.
The Committee shall consist of the following members:
1) Town/ City Manager
2) Selectboard Member appointed by the Selectboard
3) City Council Member appointed by the City Council
4) City Stormwater Staff- James Jutras, Water Quality Superintendent, and Chelsea Mandigo, Stormwater Coordinator
5) Town Public Works Staff- Dennis Lutz, Public Works Director and Annie Costandi, Director of Stormwater Operations
6) Town Representative appointed by the Town Selectboard who has served previously on the Committee or who has experience with stormwater water quality issues and permits
7) City Representative appointed by the City Council who has served previously on the Committee or who has experience with stormwater water quality issues and permits
1) Continue monitoring the progress of the projects identified under the adopted Town and City Flow Restoration Plan until such a time that implementation of the NPDES Phase 2 Permit FRP compliance is obtained.
2) Study and make recommendations relative to Phosphorus Control Plans (PCP) for each community prior to the adoption of the PCP by the Selectboard and Trustees, to include but not be limited to:
a) Make recommendations regarding the draft PCP
b) Review and make recommendations on projects proposed for implementation to meet the PCP required phosphorus reduction levels in each community
c) Make recommendation(s) regarding funding of the work required to meet the PCP
d) Make recommendations regarding stormwater controls/standards for new development to assist the communities in meeting the PCP
e) Study and make recommendation regarding a stormwater assessment for new development to assist the two communities in financially meeting the requirements of the PCP
3) Review the stormwater budget, stormwater management structure, and stormwater operations in each community and make recommendations where either greater efficiencies or reduced costs or both can be achieved through joint efforts. Perform the same review for stormwater planning and local regulation development as it relates to the appropriate requirements for review of these documents under the NPDES Phase 2 permit.
4) Other stormwater-related study elements as set forth by the Selectboard and Trustees or identified within the NPDES Phase 2 Permit for consideration.
Stormwater Committee Documents:
JOINT STORMWATER POLICY Revised 2021
Town Authorization to Discharge Permit 7025-9014.A