Board of Trustees
The Essex Junction Trustees is the governing, legislative body for the Municipality of the Village of Essex Junction. The five-member board is elected at large within the Village. After each Annual Meeting, one of the Trustees is elected by the other Trustees to the office of Village President. The Village President is the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees and presides at the Trustee meetings. The three-year terms of the Trustees are staggered to provide continuity.
Board Members & Contact Information
|George A. Tyler, Village Presidentfirstname.lastname@example.org||802-310-8215|
|Daniel S. Kerin, Vice Presidentemail@example.com||802-879-8343|
|Elaine H. Sopchakfirstname.lastname@example.org||802-324-2546|
|Lori A. Houghtonemail@example.com||802-879-6701|
|Andrew P. Brownfirstname.lastname@example.org||802-876-7555|
The Village Trustees welcome your questions, concerns and suggestions. Please feel free to contact any Trustee at the email or phone number listed on this page.
Please be aware that the Trustees are not able to respond to emails as a group. If you send an email to all five Trustees, it is mostly likely you will receive a response from only one Trustee. This is because there are laws that prevent elected officials from conducting business outside of a public meeting. Responding to a group email is an example of this.
If you wish to discuss a concern with the entire Board of Trustees, the best way to do this is either to contact the Village Manager to have your concern placed on an upcoming meeting agenda, or to attend a Board of Trustees meeting and address the Board at the beginning of the meeting.
To put an item on a Board agenda, call the Village office at 878-6944 and speak to either Patty Benoit or Village Manager Pat Scheidel. To speak to the Board of Trustees at a meeting, be there when the meeting starts (usually at 6:30 p.m.) Immediately after the Pledge of Allegiance, the Village President will ask the audience if anyone wants to speak about something that isn't on the agenda. That's when you can bring up your concern.
Summary of Last Meeting
The Village Trustees had a regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, January 13th. Highlights from the meeting are as follows:
• Lara Keenan gave an update on the Heart & Soul Community Calendar. It is now operational, and can be viewed at: www.heartandsoulofessex.org/calendar.
• A request to change the street name of Thasha Lane to Autumn Pond Way was approved.
• Green Meadows LLC requested to have zoning permit fees waived. The Trustees denied this request.
• A commitment for tax stabilization, parking lease extension, and right of first refusal for Flex-A-Seal was approved.
• The Construction and Maintenance Agreement for the Multi-Use Safety Path was approved.
• A request to conduct a scoping study for the Essex Junction Train Station was approved.
• The Noise Indemnification Agreement with CVE was approved.
• The Whitcomb Heights II open space issue was tabled.
• A Memorandum of Agreement between the Town Selectboard and the Village Trustees regarding consolidated storm water permitting and management services was approved.
• A Memorandum of Agreement between the Town Selectboard and the Village Trustees regarding the consolidation of public works services was approved.
• The FYE 16 proposed budget was reviewed. It should be noted that this was reduced by the amount of $14,000 since the previous budget presentation.
• A Joint Resolution between the Town Selectboard and the Village Trustees regarding the establishment of a Town Administrative Services Director and other personnel changes was approved.
• An amendment to the General Rules and Personnel Regulations, regarding the number of hours an employee must work in order to be considered full time, was approved.
The meeting can be viewed here: https://www.cctv.org/watch-tv/programs/essex-junction-trustees-123